Subject: Off Topic: Network Switches
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/11/2003 06:48:39
I know this is not specifically NetBSD related ...

There is a small hotel that is wanting to offer Internet access to their
customers.  They already have broadband to the hotel and want to simply
share it to each of the rooms (NAT'd NetBSD system).  The rooms already
have RJ45 jacks from
what appear to be the remains of an old PBX system -- I assume they can
rework the wiring closet to make use of these (yeah, I know it won't be
CAT 5, but I suspect it won't be that big an issue).

They want each room to be servce via DHCP, but also want them to each have
a dedicated IP for tracking/billing purposes.  So the question is, can
this be done (a DHCP reserved IP for each switch port) with an "off the
self" managed switch?

---
  /\---/\  Eric J Fox
 /  o o  \ http://fox.phoenix.az.us/