Subject: Re: Installing ncurses/terminfo
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Juha K Kallio <bunnyh@psychedelic.baana.suomi.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/08/2003 21:17:46
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:08:34PM +0200, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> Juha K Kallio writes:
>
> >I've already tried setting TERM separately for programs linked against ncurses,
> >but that gives exactly the same error. But since I'm using zsh, which is a
>
> Make sure that TERMCAP is unset (it was a workaround for older BSDs
> where termcap lookups where slow due to the absence of terminfo or
> termcap.db), if you drag some older shell profile with you from
> some earlier systems, you might still have it in (I did, for example).
> The presence of that variable might make curses/ncurses ignore your
> TERM setting.
>
> --
>   Matthias Buelow;  mkb@{mukappabeta.de,informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de}

There is no $TERMCAP. I think the problem is that the variable is set by
the shell instead of the process it's launching, and of course the shell
fails because it's not terminfo-aware. At least 'man env' says the
environment variable is set _before_ launching the process. I tried with
ksh too, so it's not a zsh feature.