Subject: Re: Silly way to waste bits.
To: Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/03/2003 23:40:45
> > Like I said, it's a silly waste of bits (see subject line), but I
> > thought that I'd see anyone else liked the idea, and whether there
> > might already be something similar.  (I know that someone has/had a
> > list of NetBSD *developers* along these lines...)
>
> You don't want this to be automated. I can be a moderator if there is
> a need (there is).

I'm not sure why it shouldn't be automated.  By having entries age out of
the system, and not permitting people to delete entries, abuse seems
negligible.  (Aging entries out is a good idea, anyway, if the database
is supposed to be reasonably accurate.  People are apt not to bother
announcing that they have removed NetBSD from their servers.  Renewing
via email could be largely automated so it won't be a hassle to stay
in.  Say, aging out every 3 months or so?)

Any discussion on the items to include in the database, as well?  I
tried to balance between too many items (tedious to fill out) and too
few (less info makes for less interest).  I tried to make a good first
cut...

I've received one entry off-list already.  (^&

As for moderating it:

I certainly don't have to be the one to keep it, myself.  But I think
that it can be automated.   I'd hope to see it off of the www.NetBSD.org
site, but could host it on olib.org, if need be.  (I'm behind a DSL line.
It should be okay for speed since I don't think that the database will ever
be very large, but I have had unscheduled outages of up to a week,
courtesy of the local Bell...)  If not on www.NetBSD.org, then anyone
with a rock solid connection would get preference over olib.org, IMHO.

I'd like to see it happen.  I don't care *that* much where it's hosted.
(^&