Subject: Re: Getting TERM right
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/03/2003 20:25:23
> I'd probably still be using my real VT100s for serial consoles but they
> either do Xon/Xoff flow control and/or drop characters even at 9600 bps.
> They are, after all, being driven by a measly old 8080 CPU with, IIRC, a
> polled UART for I/O.

I'd have guessed at at 8080, the vt100 is late 1970s technology.
The vt100 replaced the vt52, which were hardware terminals. ISTR they
only ran at 2400 baud (or maybe that was enough for the systems they
ran on).  They also had a large PCB across the entire base inside,
which tended to flex and generate broken tracks and dry joints.

With all async terminals (and I've used quite a few, and preferred
them to PC style terminal for many years) the processing costs
of some escape sequences (eg anything in 'insert mode') is such that
the uart fifo will overrun unless flow control is used.

Anyone remember the DEC linewriters?  Basically a hardware dot matrix
printer that supported 1200 baud without flow control (it did require
a few NUL bytes after CR/LF).

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk