Subject: Re: Getting TERM right
To: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbertf@netbsd-fr.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/02/2003 15:18:01
[ On Saturday, August 2, 2003 at 18:45:09 (+0000), Gilbert Fernandes wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Getting TERM right
>
> I get the same result since I moved from 1.6.1
> to current (1.6U). On console, I use wsvt25 as
> terminal definition, and since I moved to current
> (complete reinstall) mutt no longer shows color
> properly while other color applications do properly
> (irssi, for example).

I think that confirms that the problem is with Mutt.

I haven't confirmed that wscons implements standard colours properly but
given what everyone's said so far I'm guessing Mutt probably doesn't
follow the ISO/ECMA standard colour model.

>  Using screen (the gnu screen)
> makes mutt show colors properly though.

That's not too surprising (screen is a terminal emulator itself), though
it is somewhat interesting and further supports the suggestion that Mutt
doesn't drive a true ISO/ECMA colour terminal properly, though
apparently Mutt can drive the screen emulator well enough (and screen
can correctly translate its emulation into what's needed to drive
wscons).

This may indeed have something to do with the fact that many terminals
and emulators don't follow the ISO/ECMA colour model even if they claim
to be otherwise compatible with the standard or some subset of it.

--
						Greg A. Woods