Subject: command line DES/MD5 encryption
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/23/2003 14:15:51
I have a user management utility I wrote, and I would like to update it to
use the
new MD5 algorithm (longer passwords, better security, etc).

I could write a small C program using the passwd.c source code, but if there
is a command line utility for taking a password and encrypting it, I see no
need in replicating work.

I think, when I originally wrote the script in 1.5 days, there was no such
NetBSD utility.  I always thought this was silly since useradd/usermod only
accepts an encrypted password, otherwise you have to use the passwd command.

It's like giving a person an airplane without wings, and telling the person
they have to build the wings before you can fly the plane, otherwise fly
commercial.

jam