Subject: Re: automating windows from NetBSD
To: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
From: Ed Wensell III <ewensell3@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/18/2003 16:23:25
--- Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us> wrote:
> VNC ?

I think Marton is looking for something to automagically do it... F.ex
during shutdown on the NetBSD side. So the Windows side gets shutdown
cleanly and does not go through scandisk during the next incarnation.

There are many ways to do it. I can think of two...

1. Scripting with shared filesystem
Is there a filesystem shared between NetBSD and Windows, ala samba?
Install some command line shutdown/reboot utilities under Windows (see
http://www.simtel.net/product.php?id=11284). Write a script on the Windows
side that runs in the background checking every few seconds for a file
named 'shutdown.now' on the shared device. Then all that you have to do to
cause a shutdown of the Windows window is to 'touch' a file in the shared
area from NetBSD. The script would see the file, delete it, and call the
shutdown utility.

2. Webserver
Install a webserver on the Windows side. Again, install some command line
shutdown/reboot utilities. Make a cgi-bin Windows script to call the
utilities. Place them in a password-protected cgi-bin directory, and maybe
run the webserver on an odd port too. Call the scripts from NetBSD using
wget (wget http://username:password@windows.host/cgi-bin/shutdown). You
could bypass the do-it-yourself route by getting a program that already
does something similar. A search of 'shutdown network' on www.simtel.net
came up with some potential packages. There could be serious security
issues either way so be careful.

I could think of a couple other ways using FTP or rsh, but this should be
enough for now... :)

=====
Ed Wensell III
http://www.geocities.com/ewensell3