Subject: gnome1 issues with upgrade to NetBSD from FreeBSD
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/18/2003 10:48:10
I upgraded a machine from FreeBSD 4.8ish to NetBSD 1.6.1.  My wife
uses gnome1 on this machine.  I had a few problems, which I'll list
here:

1) X11 was missing extensions.  I ran xf86config to get a config file
   for NetBSD (Matrox G200 - pretty normal).  It ran fine for me, but
   sawfish croaked because the SHAPE extension was not present - there
   were only about 8.  I bashed the config file to look like the one
   from another machine where all 30 extensions were present.

2) Evolution could not send mail, complaining about not enough open
   files.  It seems the default soft limit is 64.  I could not find
   anywhere to configure this higher system-wide.   'ulimit -n 1024'
   in .xsession fixed this, but it seems that perhaps this should be
   higher by default, or piggy programs should set it higher.

3) nautilus 1 does not seem to exist in pkgsrc; I am pretty sure I had
   no gnome2 stuff under FreeBSD.  At this point it seems like I
   should switch to gnome2.2.  How well does that work under NetBSD
   (using pkgsrc)?  Is it really all there and solid?

I noticed that FreeBSD just announced they are pulling all the gnome1
stuff from /usr/ports, since the gnome folks said they are stopping
development.
  http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/newsflash.html#2003July15:0

So am I really the last person on the planet still using gnome1, or is
this really rushing things?  Are there any plans to do anything like
this for NetBSD?