Subject: Re: wi* and/or pcmcia* at pci* decent vendor?
To: Bryan Vyhmeister <bryan@vyhmeister.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/18/2003 01:43:39
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:

: > If you are willing to try an() instead of wi() there is also the Cisco
: > 350 line of wireless cards.  They work just find under netbsd's an()
: > driver and you get a >3x more powerful xmitter in the cards so the
: > connections are better.
:
: I have to second the recommendation of Cisco cards. They are absolutely
: excellent! However, they are very expensive.

No kidding.  Well over US$200 a pop.  <sigh>

: As far as Prism 2.5 based cards, I have a Netgear MA401 (PC Card) and
: MA301 (PCI adapter) set sitting here also.

Someone told me privately that the Linksys WDT11, a Global Sun 24110 based
card works with the "wi* at pci?" attachment with Orinico cards.  (The only
use of the wi* at pci? that I had been able to find up to that point was for
Prism-based cards.)

Of course, that came slightly too late.  I managed to find a real Ricoh
PCI->CardBus adapter for $35 on eBay.  (Nothing quite like using an actually
standard bus attachment.  8-)

Now, who knows when we'll ever see 802.11g or 802.11a support, as I've
heard that the specs for all such chipsets are NDA-hidden (which is not
shocking, given that BRCM has a near-monopoly on those two).  No big deal
for me, yet.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>