Subject: Re: WiFi Cards
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan@bjan.net>
From: Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/10/2003 14:33:23
On Thursday July 10 2003 02:44, Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:10:23PM -0500, Nate Hill wrote:
> > On Tuesday July 8 2003 22:55, Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:
> > > Secondly, no doubt most people have seen the article on slashdot about
> > > 802.11{a,g} support for FreeBSD. Is a port to NetBSD likely? Anyone
> > > have any vague idea as to a timeline? Should I hold out or just buy a
> > > cheap 802.11b card in the interim? If so, which one should I go for?
> > > (Any NetBSD user the US have a spare one they'd like to sell?)
> >
> > I would generally recommend cards from netgate (www.netgate.com). They
> > have a new a+b+g card which I don't beleive has any current driver.  I'm
> > sure someone would work on a driver if a card was available.  At the very
> > least, you can hack the current driver to at least get b working.
>
> Thanks for the advice, I've written to them to ask whether such a thing
> would be likely to work, and how long until they release new drivers.
> I'll keep you posted.

NetGate does not have/develop/release drivers for their cards.  I meant that
NetBSD users could develop one in cooperation with them. They do seem to be
interested in supporting a wide range of software platforms (they are the
only retailer I've seen that displays driver information for NetBSD on the
front page of their products).

--
Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>