Subject: Re: FreeBSD binary emulation failing (cannot execute 'ldd-freebsd')
To: NetBSD-users list <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rogier Krieger <rogier@virgiel.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/09/2003 00:17:49
Hi Ambarish,

My local NetBSD box is at 1.6.1, with a fully up-to-date src tree
(as far as security patches are concerned).

I have both the NetBSD freebsd_lib-packaged version of ld.so,
as well as the ld.so from my FreeBSD system. It's present
in the emul tree (/usr/libexec).

Using either of them (they seem to differ a few bytes) does
not change the outcome of ldd-freebsd I see.

I also tried deleting the freebsd_lib package, only copying
the freebsd lib's from the native FreeBSD machine. Trying
to run ldconfig-freebsd with the -aout switch now yields
a segfault, whereas the regular ldconfig-freebsd works fine.
Likely, this is a missing aout directory, somewhere in the emul-tree.

Both reverting to my old emul-tree with freebsd_lib installed
and entirely re-creating it, did not do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestion. Apparently, the ld.so module
did not make it into my notes.

One sidenote: re-installing the freebsd_lib package, it reads
"Note that FreeBSD ELF binaries are not yet supported with
this package." which makes me wonder if I'm really missing
out on some library files.

Did I copy enough files from my FreeBSD machine? As far
as I can see, the C-library is present. That should be enough
for ldd-freebsd, shouldn't it?

Greets,

Rogier Krieger

Previous Correspondence from Ambarish Malpani, received at 14:28 8-7-2003
-0700: