Subject: WiFi Cards
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+netbsd-users@bjan.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/08/2003 20:55:39
Hey Everyone,

A couple of things about wireless cards.

Firstly, if you're considering buying a wireless card, don't buy anything
advertized as "WLAN 802.11b Cardbus" (IOW, a card with no brand name).
There are dozens of them on ebay right now. These cards could best be
described as generic, in that there is no brand name anywhere on the box.
The box that these things come in has a picture of a surfer in orange
shorts riding a wave.

This card appears to be a hacked Realtek 8139 chip, and I was not able
to get a sqeak out of it under NetBSD or Linux.

Secondly, no doubt most people have seen the article on slashdot about
802.11{a,g} support for FreeBSD. Is a port to NetBSD likely? Anyone have
any vague idea as to a timeline? Should I hold out or just buy a cheap
802.11b card in the interim? If so, which one should I go for? (Any
NetBSD user the US have a spare one they'd like to sell?)

TIA.
--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+JUNK@bjan.net>