Subject: Re: wi* and/or pcmcia* at pci* decent vendor?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <bryan@vyhmeister.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/04/2003 11:49:29
On Friday, July 4, 2003, at 09:08 AM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> tv@pobox.com (Todd Vierling) writes:
>> (sigh.  BRCM's nasty binary-Windows-98+-driver-directly-from-BRCM
>> chipsets
>> are taking over the non-10/100 networking world and no one's really
>> noticing.
>
> If you are willing to try an() instead of wi() there is also the Cisco
> 350 line of wireless cards.  They work just find under netbsd's an()
> driver and you get a >3x more powerful xmitter in the cards so the
> connections are better.

I have to second the recommendation of Cisco cards. They are absolutely
excellent! However, they are very expensive. I am using a Cisco Aironet
PCM352 card right now in my Libretto. Cisco also makes a PCI version of
the card called the PCI352. I have one sitting on my desk. I could test
it under NetBSD if someone is interested.

As far as Prism 2.5 based cards, I have a Netgear MA401 (PC Card) and
MA301 (PCI adapter) set sitting here also. I could test it as well if
someone is interested. The best Prism 2.5 based cards I have used are
the EnGenius/Senao 200 mW cards. I have a number of them. I purchased
mine from:

http://www.netgate.com/

I realize that the EnGenius/Senao cards are also relatively expensive.
I have found them to be totally worth the price though! I have a PCI
adapter from EnGenius/Senao as well. I could test it as well if someone
is interested. By the way, the EnGenius/Senao cards are excellent
performers when used as an access point using the hostap driver from
FreeBSD. I have not tried running the NetBSD hostap driver because I
have not played with current until recently. I am planning on trying it
soon. Good luck on finding supported cards.

Bryan