Subject: Re: netbsd live problems on 1.6.1
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/2003 14:11:34
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> I think that that will work; the problem is that I don't know how to
> build the floppies images separately.  I'm going to look at the build
> scripts more closely -- I have more experience building -current, of
> course, since I do it so often.

I haven't used or looked at that version of a live CD yet. But I have made
several NetBSD live CDs for the past 1.5 years (for 1.5.x and 1.6 i386).

My bootable CDs' floppy image is made like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=myboot.fs count=5760
vnconfig -t floppy288 -v -c /dev/vnd0d myboot.fs || exit
disklabel -rw /dev/vnd0d floppy288 || echo disklabel problem $?
newfs -B le -m 0 -o space -i 204800 -c 80 /dev/rvnd0a floppy288
$DIRTREE/usr/mdec/installboot -v -f $DIRTREE/usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rvnd0a
mount /dev/vnd0a $MOUNT
gzip -v -c -9 $KERNEL > $MOUNT/netbsd || echo problem with gzip $?
chmod a+x $MOUNT/netbsd
df -k $MOUNT
ls -la $MOUNT
umount $MOUNT
vnconfig -u vnd0d

Looking at the 1.6.1 iso-image target, it uses (for i386):
 -b installation/floppy/boot-big.fs

Which is the /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/bootfloppy-big/ with the
/usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/kernel-ramdisk image.

By the way, I build my bootable ISOs as root. I've been told that it can
be done as a less privileged user.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. I use my live CDs for teaching classes and giving presentations. Most
of live CDs include X and a wide variety of rescue and security tools, and
assorted software for presentations or demos. Daemon News sold one of my
live CDs in one of their 1.5.3 boxed sets, but I never received any
feedback if anyone ever used it.