Subject: Re: netbsd live problems on 1.6.1
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: =?iso-8859-1?B?SvZyZyBCcmF1bg==?= <jb@toolbox-mag.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/2003 22:28:04
Steve,

I built the CD system on NetBSD 1.6 release. When I began working on the 1.6
version I had prereleases of NetBSD 1.6 installed. On this version I had
exactly the same problems that you described: the nb* files where missing.
It seems for me that there are some differences in the so called "release
versions" and the others. But these programs are only new and renamed
versions of the standard programs.

It did these steps some time ago but I believe a workaround would be to
build the floppy images separately and copy them to the target directory.
The make steps should stop with errors and the script should continue with
the next step of the production. In principle it's not necessary to build
the floppies in this way. It was only the easiest way for me in my many test
runs when I built the CD-ROM to built the floppy images automatically. And I
even do not know if the floppy kernel config files work with 1.6.1.

> The relevant lines from mk.conf are
>
> BSDOBJDIR=/usr/obj
> BSDSRCDIR=/usr/src
> MKOBJDIRS=yes
>
> though /usr/obj doesn't seem to be used by what I did.

I did not use mk.conf. I worked with the old build procedure and set the
variables manually in the script.
At the moment I have no NetBSD 1.6.1 running, only the 1.6 system where I
built NetBSD Live. And I have not enough free time to install it and see
what's wrong in the script when it's used with NetBSD 1.6.1. But I will see
what I can do and how I can assist you.

Best regards

Joerg Braun

P.S.: Did you try the ftp version and did it work? Some people had trouble
with obscure hardware.