Subject: netbsd live problems on 1.6.1
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/2003 13:07:37
I'm having trouble trying to build my own NetBSD Live CD on 1.6.1.  I
suspect the problem is in the base toolchain, or rather, in my (and
NetBSD Live's builddist script's) use of it.

The problem is in trying to do a 'make' in /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies
-- it can't find nbcrunchgen, nbmkdep, nbmsgc, and more.  I (and the
script) previously did a 'make' in /usr/src/tools, but that didn't
create nb* in /usr/src/tools/tools.NetBSD-1.6.1_STABLE-i386/bin
as the 'floppies' directory assumes will happen.  I created symlinks
from nbcrunchgen to ../../crunchgen/crunchgen, etc., but it eventually
complained that msg_sys.def wasn't there.  I assume I'm missing a step.

The relevant lines from mk.conf are

BSDOBJDIR=/usr/obj
BSDSRCDIR=/usr/src
MKOBJDIRS=yes

though /usr/obj doesn't seem to be used by what I did.