Subject: 4 gig DRAM
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030626T145834@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/26/2003 15:07:55
The newest Intel boards have 4 dram sockets again, and in theory the
sockets can take up to 1Gig DIMMS.  That gives one up to 4Gigs dram on
the board.

Would netbsd/i386 be able to boot on a machine that had 4 Gigs
installed?  I realize it won't be able to use more than 3.5 Gigs, but
am curious if the machine would panic or be able to run normally.

How hard would it be to shave some of the reserved address space from
the PCI allocation and give it to main memory?  As far as I know the
only bulk consumer of address space I have on my bus is the matrox
graphics card and it only takes 32Megs.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/