Subject: dump verify (was Re: Backup to Tape)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/25/2003 11:49:26
On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 11:07:43AM -0400, Jean-Luc Wasmer wrote:
> I've been using DDS tapes for many years with no problems.

I use 8mm at work and (gasp) 525MB QIC at home.

> I think no matter what technology you're using, your backup process
> should always verify the backup.

is there a simple way to do a verify with NetBSD's stock dump?
(restoring to a separate partition and performing a recursive
md5/diff/cmp doesn't strike me as simple.)

> Anyway that's what my backup software does. Perhaps that's why I never
> had any problems.

which backup software do you use?

  "Isn't an OS that openly and proudly admits to come directly from Holy
   UNIX better than a cheap UNIX copycat that needs to be sued in court
   to determine what the hell it really is?"  --  Michael Sokolov