Subject: Re: Backup to Tape
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/24/2003 12:06:14
[ On Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 16:06:25 (+0900), Curt Sampson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Backup to Tape
>
> No, in fact I don't "have" them right now, because I'm sitting in my
> office and the original media are at home. Nor do I have them when I'm
> travelling. Nor do I care to go through the tedious job of re-ripping
> CDs every time I want to make a new set of MP3s to stick on my laptop.

I see you missed my point entirely.  Perhaps you should try to read what
I write a little more carefully instead of just reading what you thought
I wrote.

> And I lose permanent access to them if they're stolen, which is my
> biggest worry. I have a moderate number of CDs which it would be
> extremely troublesome, and possibly expensive, to to replace, if they
> could be replaced at all. If that's not a good reason for backing them
> up, I don't know what is.

That's even more reason to do what I suggested, but not really any good
reason to have to backup the online digital copy you have made of them,
especially not regularly with your daily backups.  It's also a good
reason to make sure the originals are insured (as well as of course
being stored securely).

Now you did say that you wanted more immediate access to a backup copy
because you didn't want to have to go through the trouble of re-ripping
them.  That is a very good reason to make a backup copy, but it is still
not a good reason to include their data in your daily backup rotation.
If you recall I suggested earlier in this thread that one-time archive
copies of static data like this were indeed a good reason to use tape,
DVD, or other such long-term archival storage media with appropriate
capacity for your needs.

You're essentially talking about making backups of your backups, which is
exactly the kind of thing I originally agreed rotating disks were not
the most ideal solution for.

--
								Greg A. Woods