Subject: Re: Backup to Tape
To: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/23/2003 10:03:22
On 2003.06.19 08:55, Jarkko Teppo wrote:

> Trust me, it doesn't matter. DAT/DDS will eat your data and you'll never
> see it again. Taking no backups is a better policy than using DDS-tapes
> because that way you won't have that false sense of security.
>
> My personal preferences (with regards to reliability): DLT, LTO, Exabyte,
> 9-track, no backups, /dev/null, DDS.

I have been using DDS Tapes for over 3 years without problems.
We also do restores several times a year.

Please don't put out such general judgements.
While there are better (but also more expensive) backup tools
like those you mentionned, DDS Tapes are not just crap.

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch