Subject: Re: how to version-track /etc
To: VaX#n8 <vax@carolina.rr.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/22/2003 15:24:41
[ On Saturday, June 21, 2003 at 17:21:32 (-0400), VaX#n8 wrote: ]
> Subject: how to version-track /etc
>

> Hi, I used to keep all my /etc files in a CVS project that I created, and
> manually merged in everything I wanted from /usr/src/etc.  This has turned
> into a very long process lately, and I'm wondering what people recommend
> that I do to shorten this process.  Should I import NetBSD's /usr/src/etc
> onto a VENDOR branch?

Yes, but not /usr/src/etc.  Rather instead start with the contents of
etc.tgz (extracted into a temporary directory).

>  Should I apply all the changes I made in that etc
> project to the files in /usr/src/etc and use anoncvs?

It depends on whether you manage multiple systems from the same source
tree or not.  This can reduce the overall number of merge conflicts down
to one instead of one per managed system.

It probably also depends on how you manage those systems and in
particular how you upgrade them.  If you build release sets from source
on one machine and then upgrade the others with those release sets then
you might want to do a bit of both.

--
								Greg A. Woods