Subject: Installation problems on Compaq Presario 7220
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <fulcrum@mbnet.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/20/2003 10:27:05
I've got this old Compaq Presario 7220 from a friend of mine, and I was
supposed to install NetBSD on it. The problem is that it won't install.
The installation stops in the following message, when newfs is about to
create the partitions;

=== clip ===
wd0: no disk, Failed: command failed
Command: /sbin/newfs /dev/rwd0a

newfs: /dev/rwd0a: open for read: Device not configured
=== clap ===

I have been trying different methods, but none of them seem to work.
E.g. I installed and tested NetBSD on another computer successfully,
then put the working harddrive in the Compaq with no success (kernel
was loaded, but the boot process stopped saying it couldn't read
root-filesystem).

My theory is that Compaq protects some part of the harddrive (MBR?)
where it stores its information (this computer is one of those with no
real BIOS). Windows/DOS/Linux are however installed correctly.

Any bright ideas?