Subject: Re: Backup to Tape
To: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/19/2003 16:22:42
Jarkko Teppo writes:

>I have had very good experiences with DLT-drives (and 1600bpi 9-tracks :-)

After recently having an HP SureStore DLT 40/80 crap on me (ate the tape,
and it looks like now the head electronics is fubar) I've lost my faith
in that technology aswell.  I mean, the thing looks ok from the outside
but once you open it and see the primitive and fragile mechanism, I
really wouldn't trust stuff like that with any important data.
I think maybe magtape is something that should be retired.  These days I
prefer RAIDs as backup devices.  A lot cheaper than tape aswell.

--
Matthias Buelow;  mkb@{mukappabeta.de,informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de}

    ``Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.''
        -- William of Ockham (~1285-1349, "Occam's Razor")