Subject: Re: Compaq RAID controller driver is problematic under 1.6.1
To: Michael Doughty <netbsd-ml@amalgam.dyndns.org>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/11/2003 09:41:29
> Ok, I find it impossible to believe that we are the only ones running
Smart
> Array 3200 and Smart Array 2 ES controllers that want to use something
> newer than 1.5.  Is it that no one else is having problems doing so?

Well...you must admit this is a rather *exotic* piece of hardware and rather
rare, comparatively speaking.  Let's face it, unless you are a Compaq shop
with some money to spend, the budget user is going to just run vanilla SCSI
or a soft RAID solution.

I think this is why I've not given it much concern, and until recent I
really didn't feel a need to upgrade.

> If someone is running either 1.6.1 or current on a Proliant box with
either
> a Smart Array 2 ES or 3200, please contact me off list.  I am concerned
> that I am just doing something slightly odd in the install that is
tickling
> this bug.  I am using the same installation routine as I have before, but
> who knows.

Trust me, you aren't.  The install process even crashes on me, with the same
sort of errors.  I've streamlined the Kernel, softdep on or off doesn't seem
to make a difference, and the ONE consistent thing I can point at is, EVERY
version of NetBSD after 1.5 crashes!

However there is hope!  I have another Compaq, at another office with RAID
and it runs 1.5.3 great. (I just remembered!)

Looking at it, here they are for comparison purposes....

System that Crash on 1.5.1 - 1.6.1:
Stable at NetBSD 1.5 (release)
Compaq Proliant 3000
Drives are in RAID 5 (3 Drives - 18.2 Gig ULTRA2 SCSI)
cpu0: Intel Pentium III (686-class)
cac0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0: Compaq Smart Array 3200
cac0: interrupting at irq 9
ca0 at cac0 unit 0: RAID5 array
ca0: 34727MB, 8716 cyl, 255 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 71122560 sectors

System that DOES NOT Crash 1.5.1 - 1.6.1:
Stable at NetBSD 1.5.3 (release)
Compaq DL 360
Drives are in RAID 1 (mirror) (2 drives - 18.2 Gig ULTRA2 SCSI)
cpu0: Intel Pentium III (Coppermine) (686-class), 548.21 MHz

cac0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0: Compaq Integrated Array
cac0: interrupting at irq 3
ld0 at cac0 unit 0: RAID1 array
ld0: 17359 MB, 8817 cyl, 64 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 35553120 sectors

So is there some fundamental difference between the Compaq Smart Array 3200
and the Compaq Integrated Array, or RAID 1 vs. 5 or combo?

I can tell you, support for the Compaq Integrated Array was not added till
1.5.3_Alpha2, so...I'm guessing there are some at lease subtle differences
in the controllers.
One thing I have not tried, checking to see if there is a newer card code
for the 3200, I've been running this box since 2000.

jam