Subject: Re: BIND core dumps on large DNS tables - was Re: BIND and big
To: None <Netbsd-Users@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/11/2003 00:40:59
Chuck Yerkes said:

>Because you (and I) haven't done the work to get it in :)

Well, it is in pkgsrc. :-)

I've been running BIND 9 at rmkhome.com since sometime in 2001. I'm
now running 9.2.2 on a SS5 running 1.5.4_ALPHA.

While I'm not running any huge zones, it basically just works for me,
without surprises.

>Per the ISC:
>BIND 8 is in "maintainance only" where BIND 9 is heavily favored.

Which means basically security fixes. In terms of performance or features,
Bind 8 is as good as it is going to get.

>Size?  AOL and the COM servers run BIND.  I *think* there are
>more COM domains than there are rbl domains.  It may be
>a matter of tuning your kernel/server or perhaps drop it
>into a nice openldap server and use LDAP to look it up.

It's probably better to do MAPS RBL through BGP than through DNS.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com