Subject: Re: BIND core dumps on large DNS tables - was Re: BIND and big giant RBL PLUS!!!! table wahoo!
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030610T183100@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2003 18:44:40
kpneal@pobox.com writes:
> Does BIND9 accept a uid instead of a username with -u yet? BIND8 does
> and last time I tried it BIND9 did not.

USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ   RSS TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
named      151  0.0  1.0  6760  7880 ??  Ss   28May03   5:14.74 /usr/pkg/sbin/named -u named -t /var/chroot/named

It takes "-u username".  Sadly the "-g" flag is used for something
else. (Grumble)

I've been running named9 ever since one of the early TSIG exploits on
bind8 a few years ago.  It seems to work well enough for low-usage
sites.  I understand that the high volume sites like the root servers
don't like it as much because it uses more resources.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/