Subject: Re: BIND core dumps on large DNS tables - was Re: BIND and big
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Sean J. Schluntz <schluntz@workofstone.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2003 10:15:06
> Which brings me to another point, BIND is not able to contend with lists
> list large!
>
> With databases this large, BIND cores after a period of time.
> It's gotten so bad, that I've had to initiate a cron that checks every min
> to see if named is running, if not start it.
>
> This is on two different servers, with latest named 8.3.4-REL
>
> I am beginning to look at alternative DNS programs, the problem is so bad!
>
> I would rather not have to go to this extreme but...

Why don't you use BIND-9.2?  It's a rewrite and runs great.  With a couple
of modifications I'm using the BIND8 rc script to startup BIND9 with the
chrooted environment.

I use to have problems with BIND8 disappearing on me, hasn't happened
since I went 9.

-Sean

--
Sean J. Schluntz           schluntz@workofstone.com
Sr. Security Consultant               Work of Stone