Subject: Re: BIND and big giant RBL PLUS!!!! table wahoo!
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030610T094742@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2003 10:00:35
> I think it just means that the Internet is growing. Remember when people
> used to complain that they had to ...

I remember when folks grumbled that downloading the hosts file
(eg. /etc/hosts) from sri-nic once a week was starting to get
ridiculous.

> > > Real Time Blackhole List + has grown to 51,698,706 bytes in size!!!
> > > Bind, running with just that entry uses 129Megs of memory.

I wonder if this zone is encoded as well as it could be.  The whole
SPEWS listing as a text file of ascii CIDR format entries is only 1
MByte uncompressed and 80k Bytes gzip-ed.  (Thats 14,000 CIDR entries.)

        http://mirror.bliab.com/spews/

SPEWS is a much faster to list, and has a much more hard-nosed
delisting policy.  I'd expect their list to be much larger.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/