Subject: Re: BIND and big giant RBL PLUS!!!! table wahoo!
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2003 09:00:47
> what does it mean? that there are really too many servers used for
> spamming, or that lots of positions on that list are "possible spammers"
> or "someone hated them so paid to people maintaining this list"...
> i was a member of some few spamming lists few months ago, while no
> spamming actually been done from my machine.

The RBL really does try to be fair and does a good faith effort to keep
people from being unnecessarily targeted, so that is why I picked them.  I
realize it has it's pros and cons, but it's a fair compromise.  I could take
in EVERY message and content scan them, but with RBL it quickly removes
chaff.  I have 3,500 email users and I have to do something!

I think the Internet phenomenon is great, but with all this empowering
without education of ones actions have resulted in some rather unethical
people (Spammers) taking advantage of these people and mailserver software
either antiquated, full of exploits or initially configured poorly.

I run an ISP and you have no idea the number of "master admins" -- who of
course know more than anyone else -- has had an employee complain that they
can pickup mail via POP3 but can't send email from home.

*** 'Oh! Here's the problem, the stupid mail software company turned off
relay...' ***

Suddenly their bandwidth is exhausted, mail server is slow, out of space or
just crashing all the time.

Then they can't send emails...so I get a call, 'why is your crappy service
so slow and why aren't you allowing me to send emails!'

I lookup and find they are on open relay lists and then I have to start the
education program...

It's like parenting!

jam