Subject: problems compiling mysql 4.0.13 on 1.6.1 - any suggestions?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/05/2003 09:26:41
I'm trying to manually build MySQL 4.0.13 on an
i386 NetBSD 1.6.1 box.

I've installed from pkgsrc the pthreads package
pth-1.4.1nb7        GNU Portable Thread library
as an email from kre on one of the lists implied that
it was prefered over MIT threads?

anyway ... when I use the following configure
arguments I see this :

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql-4.0 --with-pthread
--enable-thread-safe-client

checking for char... yes
checking size of char... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (char), 77

And then configure exits.  A quick google for this showed a
similar error on RedHat Loonucks with pthreads for a compile
of Python, so maybe it's a pth issue?

So .. I tried with MIT threads as follows :

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql-4.0 (the MIT threads is
the default)

Configuring MIT Pthreads
cd: can't cd to mit-pthreads

Firstly, can anyone tell me if I should be using MIT or the GNU
pthread libraries, and secondly, what am I doing wrong with
my configure options?  Do I need to install the MIT threads
seperatly?  There doesn't seem to be a pkg for it in the 1.6.1
pkgsrc?

I'm not using the pkgsrc MySQL because it
appears to be still MySQL 3 and I'm trying to standardise on
4.0.13 across a number of platforms at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Carl