Subject: Re: how to upgrade linux suse packages ?
To: None <joel.carnat@noos.fr>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/04/2003 12:42:37
On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Joel CARNAT wrote:

> first, why do NetBSD use suse as linux emulation ?
> I mean why rpm and not tar.gz (from slackware, gentoo, or so) ?
>
> then, it seems the install only rpm2tgz the files and put them in the
> emul subdir ?
> I mean, there is no "real" rpm database record ?
> so if I would like to update the 7.x or upgrade to 8.x, would I only
> have to get the rpm and rpm2tgz them into /emul/linux ?

You can put any binaries you like in /emul/linux, but the Suse-7.x
binaries are the best tested. If Suse-8.x involves a linux kernel
upgrade, it may not even work with our emulation.

You can run other linux binaries that would work with linux 2.4.18.
(At least, that's what "sysctl emul.linux.kern.osrelease" claims to
emulate.) I have run a Mandrake Linux StarOffice package under NetBSD
1.6.0. Many of the NetBSD linux packages, in fact, are not distributed
by Suse at all. If you want to try to install an rpm that's not been
packaged, you only have to give arguments to override OS and override
dependencies, and see if it works.

Frederick