Subject: Re: PCMCIA modem and LAN combo cards
To: Joseph Dunn <joseph@magnesium.net>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/03/2003 00:31:41
At 12:00 PM 5/31/2003 -0700, Joseph Dunn wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I'm looking to purchase a PCMCIA/Cardbus LAN and modem combo card, such as
>the Xircom Realport 56K Combo RBEM56G-100 or the 3COM 10/100+56K
>3CXFEM656C. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with these or any
>other combo cards and NetBSD. Are there any tried and true cards that you
>could recommend me?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 3CXFEM656C uses a "winmodem",
so it would not work with NetBSD, same for 3C...556C (which is PCMCIA as
opposed to the cardbus of the 656C). I have a 3C...556B which has a
hardware modem, but is PCMCIA rather than CardBus (ie can't do full
100Mbit) and uses dongle connectors that can break if you aren't careful
(and eventually even if you are).

I don't remember if there's such a thing as a 3C656B, and if so whether or
not it has a hardware modem. Eventually I just found a 3C575 cardbus
ethernet card (which works quite nicely) for cheap, used that for ethernet,
and plugged in the 556B for its modem.