Subject: Re: Fax _and_ voicemail server
To: Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl.netbsd@wasmer.ca>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/01/2003 19:30:04
On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Jean-Luc Wasmer wrote:

> I'm looking for a program that can:
>
> - receive faxes and forward them to an e-mail address;
> - send faxes submitted by e-mail;
> - record voice messages (from the same phone line), and send them by e-mail.
>
> Does anyone know about such program?
>
> The only NetBSD packages I found (efax, hylafax and mgetty) only handle
> faxes. (comments/comparisons of these packages would still be appreciated).

"mgetty" ships with an example config to do the first thing. For
the second, I think you'd need some type of mailserver that can run
arbitrary commands over the messages received according to sender or
other criteria (such as postfix?). For the third, the recent versions
of "mgetty+sendfax" (as in the NetBSD package, but not the "stable"
version of "mgetty") ship with "vgetty", for doing voicemal. That was
actually what piqued my interest in "mgetty" though I confess I've
never gotten around to setting up a voicemail system myself. [I do
use it for accepting dial-ins sessions and faxes.] I'm not familiar
with the other packages, but I'm sure they don't do voicemail.

Frederick