Subject: Re: Re: rs232-controller switches
To: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/22/2003 22:19:09
On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 04:28:41PM -0500, Andy Ball wrote:

> Hello Manuel,
>
>   JM> I guess I need a UART which presents the data on a 8
>     > output pins.
>
> Sounds like a job for a 6402: a UART that I've seen used
> without a microprocessor or microcontroller.  Google turned
> up the pinout for me, and a little further digging could
> probably yield a data sheet or manual.

Yes, I finally found about the 6402. I think I even used one a long time
ago, to build a EEPROM programmer connected to an apple IIc.
Unfortunably I can't find it in my usual on-line stores, and it may even
be more expensive than a PIC :)

I'm not looking more closely at these PIC things, they looks exiting.
I fear my switches may end up with thermal sensors, a chip to provide
time of day, etc ... :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>