Subject: Ripping and Storing CDs
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2003 21:15:50
So I'm thinking I'd like to back up my CD collection. (My main worry is
about surviving having it stolen, but of course being able to play it
anywhere is also something that would be nice to have.) Because I want
to be able to burn new copies of audio CDs if I have to, I need to be
able to reconstruct the original audio data, so storing them only in MP3
or any other lossy CODEC's format is not an option.

So what do people recommend for ripping and storing this stuff? Ideally
there'd be some sort of fairly automatic process that could fetch title
information as well, but it has to deal easily with a number of CDs
where the title information is unlikely to be available on CDDB or
similar. (I have a fair number of rare CDs, and some that aren't even
commerical releases.) I've got close to a thousand CDs to rip, so it
can't take up too much operator time.

cjs