Subject: No nameservers configured when using DHCP/dhclient
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Lee W <lee@unassemble.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/18/2003 00:07:34
Hi,

I have just installed NetBSD 1.6.1 (i386) and the installation appears
to have gone ok.  However I have to problems which I am sure are really
simple for a more experienced user then myself.

Both the problems revolve around DHCP.

Firstly, when using DHCP every setting is configured apart from the
nameservers (IPv4 address, gateway, netmask & network address).  To the
best of my knowledge I ran though the DHCP-HowTo correctly, I have tried
also with an empty dhclient.conf file, no dhclient.conf file at all, a
blank resolv.conf/no resolv.conf.  Nothing I try seems to solve the
problem.  I was unable to retrieve any hints from the appropriate man
pages that provided any info.

Secondly, how can I run dhclient again without having to reboot.  The
first time I ran the script is went though fine however on subsequent
attempts I got some message about "before reporting a bug, check the
mailing lists and README files" (something like that).  Once the first
problem is fixed I probably won't be concerned by this, but is annoying
having the reboot just to try a simple config change.

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Lee