Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/15/2003 00:56:36
[ On Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 10:59:03 (+0900), henry nelson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
>
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 01:31:29PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >
> > I and at least several others believe this confusion would be totally
> > and completely eliminated if instead the RCD scripts were installed (by
> > default at least) into ${PREFIX}/share/examples/rc.d.
>
> YES!  That's the first place I'd look.  If they aren't there, then the
> whole install waits days, weeks or months until I have time to sit at
> that machine again and waste precious time trying to find a template.
> (Usually have to give up and go to google, then here or help@.)

Currently ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d _is_ the examples directory for package RCD
scripts, but given its obviously confusing name people are lead to
believe that it's the final destination instead, and then of course
comes the F.A.Q. about how these scripts are supposed to be invoked on
boot, and around the circle we go!  ;-)

> > We also believe the instructions for installing and configuring any
> > package (i.e. any messages uttered by the REQUIRE and INSTALL script(s))
> > should be automaticaly appended to the MESSAGE file when the package is
> I was not aware of this feature.  Perhaps it needs to be advertised more.

Yes indeed the utility of the MESSAGE should be documented much better.

(FYI the MESSAGE file is what it's called in source form, but it ends up
as the "+DISPLAY" file in /var/db/pkg, and is displayed with 'pkg_info -D')

--
								Greg A. Woods