Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/2003 10:08:42
On Wed, 14 May 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> those annoying name space collisions. Finally, the implementation
> delete scripts from "/etc/rc.d", under some circumstances, when the
> package is deleted, which I find really annoying.

Maybe, if the file has been modified then it could be saved somewhere. Or
its execute bits could be turned off.

My main problem is that some packages have a PLIST that hard-codes a
location for the rc.d script. If pkgsrc handles the installation, it can
be smart enough to later add the correct path (RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR) to
the PLIST.

> I really think we should nix most of them. If we choose the "right"
> solution, when a new user asks how to do it, we can give him a brief
> outline, point him to the documentation, and that will end the
> discussion. If we choose the wrong one, or simply document the lack

And also this right solution can be displayed when the user installs the
package.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/