Subject: Re: managing /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/2003 09:42:57
On Wed, 14 May 2003, Roger Fischer wrote:

> I like this option, however... it would be nice if /etc/rc would also
> do the following.
> if a file by the same name exists in both /etc/rc.d and
> /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d, (e.g. sshd)
> then use the one in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d which is presumably newer
> (unless you've just
> upgraded as I am planning on doing soon).

[What option?] The *whole* *point* of requiring users to copy a file
to /etc/rc.d before a daemon is started, is so that the system won't
start running random listeners by itself. How much easier can it be,
than to copy a single file to /etc/rc.d, edit /etc/rc.conf, then run
that file? As evidenced by the original post, all these beautifully
helpful options are just confusing people.

> Or for packages in the base system, do people think it's smarter to
> just install to a
> root dir of / instead of /usr/pkg?  (bind, sendmail, postfix, sshd, ssh...)

That's an option, too. It's not at all a good idea to do that,
however, as a future system upgrade will then demolish the package.

> >3) Calling /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d scripts from rc.local. This means that
> >there are two places instead of one for specifying daemons, but does
> >keep everything in its nice place, and avoids name-collisions like
> >sshd.

[This option? top-posting... tsk...] That can't work if you need to
run the daemon before "DAEMON" or after "LOGIN", so while it's fine
for your single instance, it's generally unsupportable.

This entire topic has been discussed to death on the appropriate
lists, and it's not even on topic here. Our shame is that we've layed
out 100,000 options, rather than coming to a decision to give users
one recommended way.

Frederick