Subject: pppoe
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Noah Meyerhans <frodo@morgul.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/13/2003 13:08:07
--M1akecbV8LB7u7K0

Yuck.  PPPoE just reeks of kludge.

Anyway.  I moved in to a new apartment where there's verizon DSL service
using pppoe.  I've found the configuration to be quite straight-forward
under NetBSD, but I have a couple of questions.

I've setup pppoe as described in the NetBSD docs
(http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/pppoe/).  There are a
couple of problems, though.  First is that the default route is not
being configured at boot time.  The documentation at the above URL
indicates that ifwatchd should run the "up" script at boot, but it
really doesn't seem to be doing it.  I've put some echo calls in
/etc/ppp/ip-up to see if it's being run at boot, and it definitely is
not.  If I call ip-up by hand with all the right arguments ($5 being set
to the ppp peer) it works fine, and the default route is set.  I'm not
passing -i to ifwatchd to inhibit the running of ip-up at startup.  As
far as I can tell, it definitely should be running.

The second question related to resolv.conf.  dhclient has the ability to
specify some nameservers to prepend to the list that it gets from the
DHCP server.  Can pppoe do that for me, or should I write add some shell
code to ip-up (assiming I can ever make it run!) to modify resolv.conf?

Thanks!
noah

--=20
| Web: http://web.morgul.net/~frodo/