Subject: Re: IDE LED always on
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/13/2003 10:39:56

> > unfortunately they doesn't have, but can't netbsd implement one read
> > command at bootup? (same as one dd in /etc/rc)
>
> If you want my opinion:
>
> That's against the our mantra: "do it right".

so some CD ROMs shouldn't be supported at all.

it's hardware problem in fact. not all devices has this.

> You know the workaround, you have already applied it. There is no need to
> apply yet another workaround - especially as no real function is harmed.
>
> If you find out what the real problem is and how to fix it, fine.

this way - you are right. the problem is i think bad hardware.

after poweron light is on as long as BIOS scans for CD-ROM's, then it's
off, then it's back on after NetBSD resets IDE channel.

but there's some difference between how NetBSD and BIOS scans for devices!