Subject: Re: Allowing FTP via a ipfilter firewall
To: Martin Husemann <>
From: Phil Pereira <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/11/2003 12:41:59

Thanks for the suggestion; however, passive mode didn't provide any help.

So far I have determined that the commands I can use are "cd" and "pwd", anything else, such as "get" or "ls" seem to hang.

Any more ideas?

On Sat, 10 May 2003 20:07:36 +0200
Martin Husemann <> wrote:

> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 06:40:59PM +0100, Phil Pereira wrote:
> > Am trying out ipfilter on my NetBSD box via my LAN. It seems
> > to be running fine, however, when connecting via ftp, I can
> > log in, but it refuses to let me get a file or "ls" - it just
> > hangs. If I FTP into the box from itself, all works fine
> This sound like you are not using passive ftp. For NetBSDs ftp client this
> is the default, but most others default to active connections. Most modern
> clients support the "passive" command though (or have a checkbox to that
> effect).
> For NAT the ipf ftp proxy fixes the problem - I have no idea (and refuse to
> think deeper about it) if this works for filtering too.
> Martin

                                           (_ )
UNIX is "user-friendly",                \\\", ) ^
it's just picky about its friends!        \/, \(