Subject: Re: Software versions in fresh NetBSD Install?
To: Roger Fischer <r@aileron.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/05/2003 22:32:30
On Mon, 5 May 2003, Roger Fischer wrote:

> I was wondering... how do I tell what versions of software I have
> installed in my
> default 1.5.2 installation?  Is this documented anywhere?

This might help:

 http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/formal-1.5/NetBSD-1.5.1.html
 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.1/CHANGES-1.5.1 (193880 bytes)

Or use "ident /path/to/binary" on some software to see the code cvs
versions.

> Next question.
>
> Assume what's in my default install in /usr/bin is old (probably).
> I've put in a newer one via pkgsrc in /usr/pkg/bin.

What do you mean?

(pkgsrc doesn't provide all the default NetBSD /usr/bin files.)

> If I update to 1.6.1, how do I determine which one is newer?
> If the 1.6.1 default program is newer, must I delete the one
> installed via pkgsrc?

Look at the version numbers in pksrc and in the CHANGES files for 1.6.1.

> Not a problem for 1 or 2 packages, but on a fresh install, that's a
> lotta software.
> What's the best way to handle this?

Use the official 1.6.1 version, unless you need some feature not included.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/