Subject: Re: NVidia drivers update
To: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/04/2003 19:41:42
On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 07:55:04PM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> Le Sun, 4 May 2003 13:28:13 -0400
> Sean Davis a ecrit :
> > On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 06:15:37PM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > > I've updated my port. See http://cubidou.nerim.net, and download the
> > > tarball at http://cubidou.nerim.net/NVIDIA_NetBSD-1.0-3203.tar.bz2 .
> [...]
> > Does it still suffer the same problems as your last go-round? (ie,
> > console blanking when leaving X, total machine hang when trying to play
> > quake3arena-demo or heretic2-demo, etc?)
>
> Console blanking is not really my part. There's nothing I can really do
> about it, except complaining at NVidia. It can be worked around in the
> vga/wscons driver, but it's kind of an independant work.

last I checked it was a bug in XFree86, because it used to happen with
nvidia cards in XF 4.x originally until it was fixed. nvidia's driver must
not have that fix. (not that there is anything you can do about that when the
real driver is binary-only...)

> About games, Linux binaries don't work with GLX yet, so there's no update
> here.

ah.

> I'm sorry, Sean. I must say I also think it would be so much easier with
> an open source part in the userland binaries.

Which will never happen if NVidia stays as closed-mouthed as they are.
I guess proper nvidia support is a pipe dream.

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!