Subject: tlp vs. de driver (21140A chip), transmit timeouts
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/03/2003 00:40:26
Hi folks,

I've got some SMC card (DECchip 21140A Ethernet) and it's giving
me some "issues":

First, at boot, the driver seems to note some brokenness
in the card:
tlp0: broken MicroWire interface detected; setting SROM size to 1Kb

is this normal?

Then I get the following:

tlp0: transmit underrun; new threshold: 96/256 bytes
tlp0: transmit underrun; new threshold: 128/512 bytes
tlp0: transmit underrun; new threshold: 160/1024 bytes
tlp0: transmit timeout
(several of the transmit timeouts over time, although the card
seems to continue to work.)

Previously, I've also seen the following:

Apr 30 11:58:01 pestbus /netbsd: tlp0: transmit process failed to idle: state RUNNING - FETCH
Apr 30 11:58:01 pestbus /netbsd: tlp0: receive process failed to idle: state RUNNING - FETCH
[ad infinitum]

at which time networking was down and I had the machine rebooted.

I googled a bit and found a posting that mentioned it could
be that APM/ACPI powers down the card after a while and so I disabled
power management in the BIOS as far as possible and haven't seen
the above lockup yet again.  I don't know for sure if that has been
the cause, though.

My question is, have others seen these troubles?  Could the issue be
resolved by using the de driver instead of the tlp one?

--
Matthias Buelow
home: mkb/at/mukappabeta.de