Subject: Re: raidframe parity always dirty after reboot
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/28/2003 13:44:31
Greg A. Woods writes:

>No, "shutdown" really is the proper way to shut down any system.

>> IMHO it's a workaround; the kernel should properly unconfigure
>> swap partitions/-files by itself before unconfiguring RAIDs.
>
>I most certainly do not think so.  There are many many other tasks that
>need far more than just the "kill -15; sleep 10; kill -9" sequence that

Whatever; swap handling belongs in the kernel domain and hence
should be properly undone by the kernel at shutdown, and not by
some rather arbitrary user process.  The fact that it isn't, is
probably more due to laziness since there wasn't a need so far.
With raidframe, there is a need to do it.

--
Matthias Buelow
home: mkb/at/mukappabeta.de