Subject: Re: tinydns usuage?
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/24/2003 14:41:08
Caffeinate The World wrote:

> I'm about to switch one of my system from bind to tinydns. Anyone using
> tinydns? Any critiques? Praises? It seems like a nice little package.
>
> One problem I perceive is NetBSD rc.d  has control over the order of
> script startup. Since svscan doesn't know about order, and named
> variable is needed in rc.d before other services can start that could
> cause some problems.
>
> What I was thinking was creating a different /etc/rc.d/named and use
> supervise to start up tinydns manually to get named variable up for
> other scripts. svscan will start up later and will notices that tinydns
> has already started.
>
> I'd like to hear from your experience if you do use it.

I have no idea if this will work (maybe someone who has played with the
new rc setup more would know), but I wonder if putting something like:

	name="named"
	rcvar=$name
	command="/path/to/tinydns"
	pidfile="/var/run/${name}.pid"
	start_precmd=":"
	extra_commands=":"
	required_dirs=""

in /etc/rc.conf.d/named would work?  That way you can keep the existing
dependancy on the "named" keyword.  Note I've also never used tinydns
either :-)

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/