Subject: Re: Booting big kernels from CDROM
To: Ian Main <ian-netbsd@stemwinder.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/2003 22:25:54
On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:51:50AM -0700, Ian Main wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to setup a diskless laptop (x86)..  I have everything
> working in terms of nfs root etc., but I have no way to boot a
> kernel.  My only real choice seems to be to boot from cdrom, but
> I don't know if it's even possible to boot a large image from CD.
> I was hoping I could just put the bootloader as the boot image on
> the CD and have it pick up the kernel image from the filesystem on
> it, but.. dunno :)

You have to build a boot floppy image with this kernel. You can use
a formatted ffs floppy for this put the kenrel (possibly compressed) and
use installboot to make it bootable.

> The other odd thing is.. soon as I set the kernel to have an nfs
> root the image balloons to 30MB?

This is strange. Are you sure you don't have a miniroot option ?
Maybe it was compiled with -g ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>