Subject: Re: In-kernel pppoe doesn't seem to detect connection loss
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Juha K Kallio <bunnyh@psychedelic.baana.suomi.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/2003 15:08:22
On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 02:02:41PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 02:32:25PM +0300, Juha K Kallio wrote:
> > I checked the replies while the connection was OK. But clearly the replies
> > can't get in if my network cable is unplugged.
>
> Could you try this little experiment please?
>
>  - reboot the machine and establish the pppoe connection
>  - unplug the network cable used for pppoe
>  - wait one minute
>
> Now the connection should have failed. Please  check /var/log/messages for
> the LCP error message and post the output of "pppoectl pppoe0" and "pppoectl
> -d pppoe0".
>
> The reboot imediatley before this test is important to make sure this is not
> a side effect of a callwheel corruption bug unrelated to pppoe.
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin

I wouldn't like to reboot that machine, but it's uptime is just less than a day now. I just recently tried unplugging the
cable, and running tcpdump. There were no LCP echoes for 2 minutes, which would be more than a reasonable delay for those.
It clearly seems that for some weird reason, the in-kernel pppoe is not checking the connection at all. I can't see a
setting for that anywhere.