Subject: Re: Console screens dimmed by X
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
From: Christopher Tribo <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/21/2003 17:55:15
On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> hi,
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 05:27:21PM -0400, Christopher Tribo wrote:
> >
> > Recent changes to wsmoused caused X not to be able to grab the mouse
> > at startup so it quit, but when it quit it didn't reset the screen
> > brightness, as a result the default foreground text is barely visable
> > on my screen. Shouldn't "reset" take care of this? /etc/rc.d/wscons
> > restart doesn't do anything meaningful. Is there any way to reset the
> > console colors to the defaults? FWIW, bold text in man pages shows up
> > fine, its just normal foreground text that I can't see. shouldn't X
> > restore the palette settings to their defaults on exit instead of just
> > using what was there when it started?
> this is a known problem with various XFree86 drivers, they are not
> restoring palette correctly on exit (or even switching to virtual
> terminals).  what X driver do you use?  it might be worth submitting a
> bugreport to XFree86 bugzilla (

	It's a GeForce 2 MX using "nv". The last bug report I sent them on
the TDFX driver (xsrc/19067 at NetBSD) has yet to receive any answer after
more than 6 months. Guess I'll compile the latest X source and see if it
still happens first.

	Thanks for the quick response.

I'm trying to port NetBSD to my cup of tea, but it keeps kernel panicking
on refill. This is odd, because I ported it to my toaster and my bookcase
easily enough and it survives bread- and book-replacement fine.

Any hints?

Jared Earle -