Subject: Re: Console screens dimmed by X
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/21/2003 17:55:15
On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 05:27:21PM -0400, Christopher Tribo wrote:
> >
> > Recent changes to wsmoused caused X not to be able to grab the mouse
> > at startup so it quit, but when it quit it didn't reset the screen
> > brightness, as a result the default foreground text is barely visable
> > on my screen. Shouldn't "reset" take care of this? /etc/rc.d/wscons
> > restart doesn't do anything meaningful. Is there any way to reset the
> > console colors to the defaults? FWIW, bold text in man pages shows up
> > fine, its just normal foreground text that I can't see. shouldn't X
> > restore the palette settings to their defaults on exit instead of just
> > using what was there when it started?
>
> this is a known problem with various XFree86 drivers, they are not
> restoring palette correctly on exit (or even switching to virtual
> terminals).  what X driver do you use?  it might be worth submitting a
> bugreport to XFree86 bugzilla (bugs.xfree86.org).

	It's a GeForce 2 MX using "nv". The last bug report I sent them on
the TDFX driver (xsrc/19067 at NetBSD) has yet to receive any answer after
more than 6 months. Guess I'll compile the latest X source and see if it
still happens first.

	Thanks for the quick response.

--
I'm trying to port NetBSD to my cup of tea, but it keeps kernel panicking
on refill. This is odd, because I ported it to my toaster and my bookcase

Any hints?

Jared Earle - http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-ports/2002/07/04/0000.html